5.29.2009

blonde on blonde










I'm sure you all know who Deborah Harry is.. of the band Blondie. She was the first punk rock goddess; part feline, part beauty queen and play boy bunny, with an edge of Fuck You mixed on in.

She has a such unique and sexy voices. I still remember as a child listening to Blondie on my record player, and I give credit to her for my first swatch of black die that I placed at the back of my then natural blonde hair. Eventually more and more followed, and again, I can probably give her credit for influencing me to die my hair blonder when it did eventually go darker on it's own.

Before she was in the band Blondie, she lived on the lower east side and worked as a secretary, waitress and a playboy bunny! No joke. See how hot she was then too!


After meeting her future band mate and boyfriend Chris Stein, Blondie was formed in 1975! Blondie went from punk to new wave pop, and mixing new wave with disco. A first among this style. I saw American Gigalo in the movie theaters in 1980, and what made that movie icon, besides those Armani suits, was the title song, Call Me. I'm still not sure how I snuck in to see that.

It's so wild how much of her look you can see today in the fashion world. Debbie was the first to really wear this look, influenced by Stephen Sprouse. I admit to a Blondie fettish, and love white and red stripes, barets and scarfs! Once again, I'm having a blondie moment!!




Blondie performing at the Whiskey A Go-Go in Los Angeles, CA on February 1977. © Jenny Lens / Retna Ltd. 




Just look at the fashion world and how they are influenced by her look!





5 comments:

retroliving said...

Very interesting, I did not know all of this about blondie, I heart her so much and after learning all this she is even better inmy book. Lovely post.

♥Darla

Pattie said...

I gave you an award on my blog :)

And, I don't think I have ever heard of her before, though I have just recently crawled from under my rock that I've been living under my whole life lol

 Mommy Drinks Style said...

LOL, Pattie you crack me up. Thank you for the award! Love it!

Darla! I love your vintage finds!!!

blondie-lox said...

ha! i love meees some blondie!! of course. but, i must say with the richard hell/tom verlaine, blondie, warhol entourage shit... i loved some good old patti smith.

 Mommy Drinks Style said...

Yes yes yes! Patti Smith!!! Unique, sexy, strong, androgynous.

Because The Night!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoGdx3I3dPE

Blog Widget by LinkWithin