3.09.2009

The creative act is not performed by the artist alone;

the spectator brings the work in contact with the external world by deciphering and interpreting its inner qualifications and thus adds his contribution to the creative act. - Marcel Duchamp, 1957

i find Gareth Pugh very fascinating... his designs, his person, his objectives. I used to follow fashion very seriously when I was a teenager up through my first few years of college at VCU in Richmond. I was a fashion illustration major back in those days, with an interest in photography. It's a long story. We won't get into it. But in high school I used to draw pictures of models in avaunt guard 80's puffy sleeved, bright colored dresses. I eventually became distracted with the punk scene, music and fine art, and I left the fashion world behind. So it's interesting, how I've come full circle. Here I am again, paging through magazines, surfing though sites and blogs, trying to discover for myself, what's been going on in the past few years, months and days. I'm just sooo behind! And I feel excited about fashion like I did in the early years.

and there you have it, I stumbled upon Gareth Pugh. I've never even heard of him before.

Gareth Pugh Spring Summer 2009 Review




If this interests you, read this interview and watch the video with Gareth on SHOWstudio.

At the same link, above, and the first video shown, you'll catch the film created in collaboration with Ruth Hogben. It showcases the Autumn/Winter 2009 show. It's an amazing collaboration of fashion, art and film. Free-flowing silhouettes, ink drops transforming into avant-garde shapes. Brings to mind the surrealists, dadaism and plays with images like Duchamps Nude Descending a Staircase No.2.





No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin